Monday, October 6, 2014

Red River Rivalry

Eisenhower State Park on Lake Texoma was the site for the 2014 Red River Rivalry. This Tournament puts the kayak anglers from Texas against the kayak anglers of Oklahoma in a striper, black bass or striper/black bass tournament.. Although it is a competition it is one heck of a fun filled event. We all arrived Friday night for the early check-in at the Eisenhower Yacht Club. After registration we shared a few adult beverages and adjourned to the campsite. Once at the campsite we built a campfire and stood around it sharing all types of fishing stories.



 Then the pizza showed up so we cut off the story telling long enough to consume copious amounts of pizza. We soon retired for the evening to prepare for an early morning launch.

First cast was at 6:45 so everyone dispersed to their respective launch spots.

I only entered the black bass category and also the big black bass and big smallmouth bass pot.



I fish slow and meticulously around the boat houses, break waters, and sloughs near the ESP boatramp.
I had several bites but no hookups. I then paddled around the point by the marina and immediately hooked up with something big. I fought it for quite a while before landing a beautiful 22.5 inch striper.
Did I mention that I didn't enter the striper division???


At approximately noon I decided to switch to my flyrod as I tend to catch more and bigger bass on it.
After switching to the fly rod I did catch a total of 4 bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted) and a small green sunfish. Unfortunately the fish were required to be a minimum of 8 inches before you could enter them for judging. :'(

At 2:00 PM I loaded up the yak and headed for the weigh-in with nothing to show for my days work.

Here are what winners look like! :)



Here is Jason "The Ninja" OBrien with his new Hobie kayak that he won in the drawing.


And here is the Texas group who brought home the trophy this year!!!


(that's the back of my head on the far left in the camo hat)

Another fun tournament on the books.

Until next time, tight lines,

The REV

Big thanks to Dustin Doskocil for the awesome photos!

No comments: